Wondering what is Shopify all about?
Is it something that can create a sustainable source of income for you?
This review aims to answer some of the questions you have in mind about Shopify and find out whether it is something you can use to build your online business.
Owners: Tobias Lutke, Daniel Weinand, Scott Lake
Price: $9 to $299/month
WorkRemoteNow rating: 81 out of 100
Product – in a nutshell
Shopify is a cloud-based software service that allows you to create a website, use their shopping cart solution to sell, ship and manage your products.
It was launched in 2006 and currently headquartered in Ontario, Canada.
In 2009, they released their Application Programming Interface (API) platform and App Store.
In the succeeding years, they launched free mobile app on the Apple App Store, Shopify Payments and Ipad-centric point of sale system. They also acquired a couple of software developer companies like Select Start Studios Inc and Tiny Hearts, product design firm Boltmade, and Jet Cooper – a design studio.
Shopify is listed in New York Stock Exchange and Toronto Stock Exchange. It made a debut on NYSE in 2015 and started trading for more than 60% of it’s IPO price.
They claimed to have over 800,000 businesses in approximately 175 countries using Shopify platform as of Dec 31, 2018.
They also have an A+ rating in Better Business Bureau (BBB) website.
In May 2019, they acquired Handshake, a business-to-business e-commerce platform for wholesale goods.
Who is it For?
It is designed for anyone who wants to sell in multiple places, including online, mobile, social media, online marketplaces, brick-and-mortar locations, and pop-up shops.
Types of Membership
Shopify has 5 plans to choose from:
1) Shopify Lite – for $9 per month, you can sell on Facebook and chat with your customers on Messenger, add products to any website or blog, and accept credit card payments.
2) Basic Shopify for $29 per month – this includes all the ‘basics’ for starting a new business.
3) Shopify for $79 per month – this includes ‘everything’ you need for a growing business.
4) Advanced Shopify – $299 per month – included in this plan are advanced features for scaling your business.
5) Shopify Plus – this option will give you enterprise-grade solutions if you are a high-volume merchant or you have a large business.
WIIFM (What Is It For Me)
- The company offers a 14-day trial with no credit card required. The features and benefits you will get depends on your chosen plan.
- You can find a business name, buy a domain, and create a brand using their free tools.
- Their platform allows you to sell products to anyone, anywhere.
- They also have built-in tools for Marketing that will help you create, execute, and analyze campaigns on Facebook and Google.
- You can use a single dashboard to manage orders, shipping, and payments anywhere you go.
They have an unlimited 24/7 support which is available via chat, email and phone.
The Good, The Bad & The Catch
- It is a web-based application which is pretty awesome particularly if you are on the go
- It offers a couple of options (online and offline) in order to sell a product
- You don’t need any technical skills to create a website
- Easy to set up
- The platform is very user-friendly
- Choosing the right plan could be tricky
- Costly add-ons (some features should have been standard, unfortunately you’ll have to pay extras to get the additional apps)
- SEO can be frustrating
- Shopify fees that range from 0.5%-2.0% per transaction unless you use their Shopify Payments option, powered by Stripe
An Alternative to Shopify
With over 800,000 businesses created as of Dec 2018, there’s no doubt that Shopify is one of the established online platforms you can trust.
However, there is one more alternative where you can also build an online business with a very straightforward approach. The paying-it-forward culture of this online community is something you can never find anywhere else.
It has over a million members as of this writing and once you are a premium member, you can build up to 50 websites without paying extras for hostings. Needless to say, it is something that can create a sustainable source of income for you. You can read my full review here.
Below is a quick comparison for your convenience:
Creating a sustainable income requires time and effort. Whether you chose to build your online store through e-commerce platforms like Shopify or build an online business through Wealthy affiliate, your success will depend on how you sustain the time without getting an immediate result and never giving up until you succeed.
If ever you have any questions, please leave them in a comment below and I would be more than happy to help you out.